Stranger than fiction: this mask was a 2004 proposal that attempted to replicate the Vietnam War strategy of planting “death cards” on dead bodies, to play into Vietcong superstition.
It was suggested that if all American special operators in Afghanistan wore this high-impact plastic skull mask, they would gain a reputation as being “death incarnate” and become feared by famously superstitious Afghan population.
Unfortunately, the lack of peripheral vision the mask afforded put a damper on the plan. It was also, in the words of one disgusted operator “motherfuckin’ hot in there”.
- psionicillusionist likes this
- mortevans reblogged this from sharpbrighttactical
- mortevans likes this
- gerhardnihonto likes this
- bigwordsandsharpedges reblogged this from sharpbrighttactical and added:
- xxsethryanxx reblogged this from sharpbrighttactical
- augmath reblogged this from sharpbrighttactical
- augmath likes this
- thewaterwillcome likes this
- methodsindesilutions reblogged this from sharpbrighttactical
- sharpbrighttactical reblogged this from the-alt-historian
- sharpbrighttactical likes this
- sunspotpony reblogged this from the-alt-historian
- himmler93 reblogged this from the-alt-historian
- xenophone likes this
- darklordreasonable likes this
- the-alt-historian posted this